Planning My Future – Nunavut only
BEVA® offers a 2-day Planning My Future seminar to employees who are early in their career. This seminar is highly participative and Instructor-led. It is offered to participants who are early or mid in their career and want to know more about pension and benefits, as well as financial planning, wills and estate and healthy lifestyles (physiological and psychological aspect of retirement).
This highly participatory seminar is led by Facilitators who provide basic principles and practical tools to ensure financial security, a healthy lifestyle and help them in this transition.
The emphasis is placed on developing a great understanding of financial acumen as well a better understanding of wills and estate planning and healthier lifestyle.
- Gain a better understanding of pension calculation, buy back of services, retirement timetable;
- Acquire comprehensive knowledge of financial issues and concepts such as tax planning, investments and insurances;
- Obtain a better understanding of Estate Planning: review of legal documents – Will and Powers of Attorney; and
- Obtain a better understanding of leading a healthier lifestyle.
The agenda for each module covers the following subject matter:
1. PENSION AND BENEFITS (½ day), and includes:
- Pension plans;
- Calculations and calculating pension;
- Elective service;
- Leaving before or after age 50;
- Post-retirement life insurance;
- Public Service Health Care Plan; and
- Pensioners Dental Services Plan.
2. FINANCIAL PLANNING (1 day) and includes:
- Life Stages
- Financial Management Considerations
- Cash Management
- Planning Vs Budgeting
- Plan for Impact of Inflation;
- Good Debt vs Bad Debt;
- Net Worth
- Mortgage vs RRSP vs TFSA;
- Investment Vehicles;
- Investment Structures;
- Type of Investment Risks;
- Portfolio Management;
- What is your risk profile?
- Understanding our taxation system;
- Retirement, Savings, and Income Programs;
- Income Security Programs;
- Life Insurance;
- Other Insurances;
- Estate Planning and Tax Mitigation;
- Issues Retirees Face;
- Working with a financial planner;
- Action Plan.
3. ESTATE PLANNING (½ day) – Nunavut
- Estate planning, wills, and powers of attorney;
- Role of the attorney;
- Role of the executor or the liquidator; and
- Estate administration and probate.
A student manual is available for the learner to follow during the instructor’s presentation.
Benefits to the participants
Throughout the activities, the participants will gain a better understanding of preparing themselves for a healthy and financial sound retirement.
A course evaluation will be completed by the learners once the course is finished.
Note: The course outline may be subject to change.